Thursday, February 19, 2009

2009 AMD Masonic Week

Masonic week has come and gone by the time we hunker down to write this, our yearly synopsis.

For me, Justin, I can tell you it's been one hell of a year...
Career changes, personal life changes, my son started school, and a BIG change in the Whitehouse. I guess this year for me has been one of significant transitions and these two weeks have been a great chance to step outside of the normal routine and reflect on the previous year.
I started off this transitory state around April of '08, by having to make a tough career choice, due to the economy, that has been very good to me so far. I went from being a blue collar Woodworker/Tradesman to a self employed Web Designer. I have had the chance to work many wonderful brothers do my little part to help change the face of Freemasonry on the Internet.
My son Bryan started Kindergarten this year.. where does the time go? I remember as a new dad getting him to sleep in his PJ's with a warm bottle...

For me, Reed, I can say that it is turning out to be a busy year not only Masonicly but with my two Unions as well. This year I have taken the roll of Excellent Companion High Priest of my Royal Arch Chapter, Emminant Commander of my Commandery, Deputy Master of my R&SM Cryptic Council as well as Worthy Matron of my OES Chapter. That and I am also several appointed offices in other bodies as well. I am on the executive board of both I.A.T.S.E Locals 99 and 838. I am the Corresponding Secretary of Local 99 as well as a Vice President and Training Coordinator for Local 838. Will all of these meetings that take up my free time, it seems to others like all I do is meetings and work. I do take a vacation every now and again and one of my regular ones is Masonic Week.


(We both write the blog so the first person view often changes. Sorry if there is any confusion.)


February 10/11th, 2009 - A Dulles Arrival.

Tuesday started off like any other normal day, the sun rose up and the birds were chirping, but this day was to kick off a two week long masonic free for all Reed and I call "Masonic Week". AMD Week, or All Masonic Week as it is called is a four day long gathering of Freemasons from all across the country who descend upon the Nation's Capitol for fun, free drinks, and High Degrees of Freemasonry. Reed flew into Dulles Airport, Virginia, at 1:10am after about 3 hours of push-backs, delays, and a de-icing. We arrived at my home, in southern Maryland, around 3 am after a much needed pit stop and some coffee.


February 12th, 2009

We got up and headed to the hotel in Alexandria VA from Justin's house in Maryland. I was hoping to get to the Commandery meeting at 10am but the amount of time that I had to sleep and the journey there didn't permit. The next thing that I wanted to do was the "Sovereign Order of Knights Preceptor" at 4:30 later in the afternoon. We went to lunch with Glen Cook who is the JR PGWM of Utah. Yes, Glen, I still owe you a diet Coke. We just kind of waited around the hotel talking to people until we could check in at 3pm. We bumped into our good friend Balvin and found out that Rashied who was going to speak later that night at Hiram-Takoma Lodge #10. Justin when to go pick up Rashied, I ended up having having a drink with Glen and Tom Jackson who is the Executive Secratary for World Conference of Grand Lodges and also visited my Grand Lodge Communication to give us a very fine talk while he was in Utah. After our beverages of choice Glen and I bid Tom farewell for the moment as we were about to step into the Knights Preceptor Degree. Glen Cook and I joined the Knight Masons together last year and Knights Preceptor together today. It was nice to go though another order together with him. It was a neat degree and we got these awfully big jewels to wear about our necks the next time we get to a meeting.

Later that evening...


Rashied, Glen, Justin and I were then off to hear Wor.'. Br.'. Rashied Al Bey's "A Beautiful System" as modified to accomidate the ladies and families of the Brethren of Hiram-Takoma after business was cunducted and we called off.

After Lodge we went back to the hotel for a drink and got to hang out with our new friend Marcel who is the Worshipful Master of Hiram-Takoma. We visited several of the hospitality rooms. The one we ended up in the most that evening was The Masonic Society and The Knight Mason rooms.


February 13th, 2009

Friday started early for me, I went to the Knight Mason meeting while Justin go to sleep in. My friend from Utah, Blaine H. Simons was Excellent Chief of that council. He got to open the meeting and then we did a bit of business and then had elections.
It was good to see Blaine in the East at a meeting at Masonic Week. After we got out of the Great Chief's Council "0" and Grand Council Knight Masons of the USA meetings which were a joint meeting that took about an hour and a half we went to Society of Blue Friars where Yasha Beresiner spoke to us mostly about the time period of 1717-1723, Anderson's Constitutions and how Scottish Freemasonry effected them. You can find an index of Anderson's Constitutions here.

We were then off the Masonic Light no host lunch. We had a good time eating with the group. Justin got to talk with Glen and Piers Vaughan. While I made new friends with MW Steven Smith and Andre Gregoire both of RI, who I ended up sitting by for lunch or in a meeting several times. I also talked with Rashied and Balvin. It was good for Janet Wintermute to save us seats again.

We just had a good time talking to guys in the lobby or hospitality suites until we went to The Masonic Society's First Circle gathering where we go to hear Yasha Beresiner give a very entertaining talk.
We were fortunate to be able to sit with the Hodapps. I had fun talking to Chris' wife while he was up and about taking care of business while we ate dinner.

After dinner I went to “Royal Order of Masonic Knights of the Scarlet Cord” degree of the first grade. There were about 170 or so people at this degree. I got to see a friend of mine named Todd Kissam who I had not seen since I had met him in Colorado Springs. We were in Colorado Springs for a Masonic Baptism. Justin's Son Bryan was one of the kids baptized there. I was lucky enough to stay at Tim Hogan's house for the event and that is were I really got to know Todd.

After the degree I went to go find Justin and we were off to socializing and making more friends. We really got to know Marcel while talking with him that evening as well. It was then that we told him that we planned on going to the Lodge of the Nine Muses the next and he told us that he would join us.


February 14th, 2009

Eight AM comes early for Justin after staying up til 4 in the morning the night before, but he manages to roll out of bed and make it to the Grand College of Rites at 8:30. To read about the meeting read Jay Hochburg's in depth synopsis here. Next, Justin managed to make it to the Nine Muses Council No. 13.

Reed went to Grand Master's Council AMD before lunch. "It was one of the easiest tyling jobs that I had". It was an amusing meeting as Russ the Sovereign Master was cracking jokes the whole time that he was conducting the meeting. I had lots of fun. We concluded with our installation. At the end was the usual ritual of "You will prove your proficiency in your new office by finding your chair." I did so by switching seats to the dais as the new Chaplain and gave the closing prayer per my Utah Ritual. "

We then went to the Scottish Rite Research Society luncheon where we sat with Anrde, Steve, Balvin and Rashied again. It was a good educational seminar with Arturo de Hoyos answering questions concerning the latest volume of Heredom.

Reed was then off to the Grand Council of Allied Masonic Degrees of the USA. I got to sit next to Makia Pai who is a Worshipful Master in Pennsylvania. He told me that I was the only Mason he had met with longer hair than him.

When we went to the AMD Banquet I was able to sit next to Makia again and with the other Brothers there from Ohio and California talked about the differences of ritual until our speakers started their talks. Makia enlightened us on how really different Pennsylvania Ritual is. Who would have though there was a jurisdiction in the USA that didn't have a winding staircase and a middle chamber or the four cardinal virtues.

After the Banquet we met one our facebook friends in person, Tony LaCava. It was nice to get to finally talk to him face to face. We also got to meet another online friend that is mostly known as Dr. Strange from The Sanctum Sanctorum. Reed took a few days to make the connection between "Dr. Strange" and who he is in real life, I found that a little amusing. You know, it really is great meeting up with more Masons or "E-Masons" you meet online, there really should be a central gathering to cater to those brethren who are active on the Internet. I guess being online you could just hold the gathering online but a meet and greet at Masonic Week would be nice... I'll store that away for future use ;)

We were then off to The Masonic Society hospitality room again for more fellowship. What a way to spend Valentines Day.


February 15th, 2009

Sunday was a great brunch at Zanhiser's Dry Dock Restaurant on Solomon's Island.


February 16th, 2009

Monday was studying ritual for the Middle Chamber of the Fellowcraft Degree... Justin being Senior Deacon of his lodge was to confer the degree the following night.


February 17th, 2009

Most of Tuesday was spent writing this blog and studying for the fellowcraft degree...
After some minor confusion, and a babysitter backing out on us, we ended up having to sushi after we couldn't find a sitter on such short notice for Justin's son Bryan. So Reed missed a chance to see a Fellow Craft degree. There is always next year.



February 18th, 2009


We attended The Lodge of Nine Muses #1776 in DC. Upon arrival we met Marcel, our friend and past Masonic Week compatriot, LeRoy Graefe there. They called off quickly so that WM Brian Patten, an Astrophysicist, could give us a great lecture about "A Point Within A Circle." Our lecturer thoroughly discussed his personal and professional take on the subject, drawing on physical cues from the cosmos, as well as a scientific breakdown of the philosophy behind a point within a circle. It was a great educational feature, Reed was thoroughly impressed and inspired. After closing, most of the took a quick stroll down the street to a wonderful Spanish restaurant for festive board. Reed was so inspired he spent the better part of the night rethinking his place in the universe and studying similar alchemical slides related to the nights lecture.

"On the drive home I looked up at the stars with a new found wonder."


February 19th, 2009

Thursday night we traveled once again to Alexandria VA for lodge at the George Washington Masonic Memorial at Andrew Jackson Lodge #120. It was an... interesting... meeting, they were electing their District Deputy Grand Master.


February 20th, 2009

We listened to Masonic pod casts all day and relaxed. We did talk to Eric Diamond of X-Oriente on skype when we couldn't get the player to work and he fixed the problem very quickly so we could listen to the most current episode. If you haven't met him he is a great guy and Brother.
Some of the other more notable pod casts that we listened to were The Setting Maul, a very funny one and Masonic Central that has some very good interviews.


February 21st, 2009

Saturday and Departure.
Saturday morning ended up being rather hectic. Justin had to go fix a lodge member's computer in the morning while Reed packed for the flight home. We ended up leaving too late to visit the monuments in DC. I, Justin, being a DC area native still haven't visited them yet and it would have been a treat for us both. I think I will wait again til next year so we both can see them for he first time. Reeds Dulles departure went smooth.

I had a good nap while going to Denver and a good 3 hour layover there. Then it was a short flight to SLC. I was picked up from the airport and made it home in time to get about 4 hours sleep before I had to work the next day.

Till next year...

No comments: